Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Top 10 Anime

1. The Wings of Honneamise - Beautiful production work, a deep and political storyline, and a main character I could really relate with.

2. Angel's Egg - Probably the most artistic anime I've ever seen, it's not only a visual stunner, it's also very symbolic and I really enjoyed analyzing it.

3. Robot Carnival - I have not seen an anime that has replicated the effect of Robot Carnival, which is to say, assembling a bunch of short stories to create a sort of "Fantasia-effect." It has everything from action-packed shorts to deep and introspective pieces. Take your pick!

4. Gunbuster - My favorite mecha anime, if simply because I love how much main character Noriko Takaya grows, and because the directing is well executed.

5. Patlabor 2: The Movie - A political drama that puts a great mystery together, yet it also has a few things to say about the nature of man and his world.

6. Twilight Q 2: Labyrinth Objects File 538 - Extremely abstract by any definition, the second installment of Twilight Q is one of my all-time favorite viewing experiences because of how dialogue-driven it is, and because it really screwed with my sense of what was real and what wasn't.

7. Only Yesterday - A sentimental piece of work from Studio Ghibli, I could relate with how confused the main character was. Where we want to be doesn't always reach us so quickly.

8. Grave of the Fireflies - Very gritty and dramatic, this production wasn't afraid to show what war could be like in the eyes of two children, and even less afraid to show what did happen to them in the end.

9. Project A-ko - A goofball comedy that makes all kinds of references to older anime, yet it also has an identity of its own thanks to its absurd creators and their will to make things as senselessly entertaining as possible. I mean, seriously, it's about two girls fighting over who gets to be friends with another girl, and that to me is hilarious.

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Dark and angsty stuff, some of the issues this series deals with is so skin-crawling that it's hard for me not to watch and see what happens to everyone in the end. The battles are also very exciting in my opinion.

Honorable Mentions: The Castle of Cagliostro, Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, Millennium Actress, Serial Experiments Lain, Patlabor: The Movie, Koi Kaze, Golden Boy, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Hyper Police, Neo Tokyo, and Perfect Blue.

No comments: